Timely renewal is the responsibility of the license holder. You can begin the renewal process up to 180 days prior to the license expiration date. An expired license cannot be renewed.CLASS 1 RENEWAL – To renew a valid Class 1 license, you first need to complete the testing process, just as you did for your initial license.
CLASS 2 RENEWAL – No additional testing is required to renew a valid Class 2 license.
- Download and complete the Application form. Make sure you complete every question. You will need to sign the form in TWO places. If the form is not properly completed, signed and dated, it will be returned. If renewing a Class 1 license, contact a Test Administrator to schedule the required testing.
- YOU MUST DISCLOSE ANY offense with which you have EVER been charged, arrested or convicted, at ANY time in your adult life – EVEN if the sentence was deferred, the charges later dismissed, or the conviction later expunged from your court record. If you don’t remember the exact details, write what you can remember. Failure to make full disclosure is a “material mistatement" and will result in denial of your application.
- 2-color passport photographs – write your name on the back of each photo.
- A cashier’s check or money order for $60.00 for the non-refundable application processing fee. Write your name on the cashier’s check or money order. NO personal checks, NO joint (husband/wife) payments.
- A copy of your current driver’s license. If you do not have a ND driver’s license, you also will need a copy of a valid concealed weapon license from your home state, which state must have reciprocity with ND;
ND BCI - CWL
PO BOX 1054
BISMARCK ND 58502-1054
Each application must be in a separate envelope – no joint (husband/wife) or bulk submissions. Applications must be submitted by mail; the BCI does not accept hand delivered applications.
It takes up to 60 days to process a properly completed application form that has all required attachments. If your form is incomplete or missing an attachment, it will be returned. If your application satisfies the criteria established by law, your license will be issued within 60 days; if not, you will receive a denial letter.
* Once your current license expires, you cannot carry concealed until you receive the new license.
Class 2 license holders: Provided you submitted the application for renewal before the license expiration date, you do not have to do any testing even if the license expires while the renewal application is being processed.
Class 1 license holders – you can “downgrade” to a class 2 license and avoid having to redo the testing simply by indicating on the renewal application form that you would like a class 2 license. The Class 2 license has reciprocity with many fewer states than a Class 1 license.